The mission of the Kansas Reading Association is to promote learning through quality literacy experiences for all.
Bill Martin Jr. Award Voting Open Now - February 14.
• CLICK HERE to cast your vote now.
• For more information about our nominees. CLICK HERE to learn more.
International Reading Association Announces Major Changes
I am thrilled to announce that on January 26, the International Reading Association (IRA) will officially become the International Literacy Association (ILA). Welcome to ILA!
The name change is a crucial step in our efforts to emphasize our role as the global professional membership association for literacy leaders and to position ourselves as champions in making literacy accessible to all.
The change from "Reading" to "Literacy" came about as a result of ongoing discussions around who we are, what we do, and where we are going.
With 60 years of experience as leaders in reading and literacy, we took on this task to solidify IRA's legacy and to build our future as advocates for literacy in the classroom and beyond.
In the latest version of Reading Today, now available online, you will find an article titled "Welcome to the Future of Literacy" with more information on how this transformation came to be and what it means for our members. I encourage you to take a look. Here's what you can expect on January 26:
• Reading Today Online will become Literacy Daily—featuring even more practical resources, research, and thought-provoking articles to support the literacy efforts of our members and partners.
• Reading.org will be updated to reflect our new name, logo, and design. Your username and password will remain the same, and your saved bookmarks will still work. In the first half of 2015, the site will be further enhanced to fully reflect our mission.
• The website of the ILA 2015 Conference—themed "Transforming Lives Through Literacy"—will go live for those wishing to register or to learn more about the conference.
As a valued member, you are central to the success of this transformation. Whether in Louisville, Kentucky or Dhaka, Bangladesh, you are our eyes and ears on the ground. We will continue to provide you with the resources and tools you need to drive literacy in your classrooms and communities. In return, you bring us one step closer to our goal, one student at a time.
Starting today and over the coming months, you will start to experience the positive changes that come with this whole new organization—one dedicated to transforming lives through the power of literacy. And this is just the beginning. I will be sure to keep you updated on the many exciting initiatives we have coming up this year. From all of us at ILA, we want to thank you for your commitment to literacy and education. We hope you are as energized as we are about this exciting path forward.
International Reading Association
Renew Your KRA Membership
The Kansas Reading Association 2014-2015 membership year is open. Please renew your membership ASAP. Your membership will be effective July 1, 2014 - July 30, 2015. We have extended the deadline to allow you continued access through October 15.
Please contact Diana Spriggs, KRA Membership Secretary, with any questions.
Online KRA Registration:
CLICK HERE to quickly register online. Please note that a $1.25 convenience fee will be added for online payment processing.
KRA Registration Via Mail:
If you would rather mail in your registration: download, print and complete the membership form (Adobe "Acrobat Reader" required).